With significant limited license reductions in the northwest part of the state, you can expect this year’s remaining limited license sales to be more competitive than ever. Hunters should mark their calendars, review the Remaining Limited License List and make sure they are ready when sales open on Tuesday, August 1 at 9 a.m. (MT). All remaining (leftover) limited licenses, returned licenses (to date), over-the-counter and add-on bear licenses will be available for purchase online, by phone at 800-244-5613, at CPW offices and sales agents. This day is always a busy morning with the majority of licenses sold within the first hour.
Preview the Remaining limited license list and identify the hunt codes you want to apply for. If possible, have backup codes! Many of the licenses have low quantities and will be gone with in minutes after sales start.
Licenses that will become available include
- Limited licenses leftover after the primary and secondary draws for elk, deer, pronghorn and bear
- Limited elk, deer, pronghorn, and bear licenses that someone drew but surrendered or did not pay for during the secondary draw that took fewer than five resident preference points
- Limited licenses that were returned for refund/preference point restoration since the opening of the secondary draw but prior to July 24 and took fewer than five resident preference points to draw
- Over-the-counter (OTC) licenses for elk, archery pronghorn, whitetail deer, and bear
Please visit the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website to learn more about License Refunds, Reissues, Reversals, and Exchanges.
Be Prepared to Purchase a Limited License!
Be prepared by completing the following checklist BEFORE purchases begin on Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 9 a.m. (MT).
1. Validate or create your online customer account on the CPW secure website cpwshop.com:
▶ If you are an existing customer, log in to cpwshop.com to confirm that you can access your account. If you forgot your password, click “Forgot your password?” on the login screen and follow the directions. If you are experiencing issues logging in to your account, please call CPW at 303-297-1192 (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. MT) or Aspira at 800-2445613 (24/7) for assistance BEFORE this day.
▶ If you are unsure whether or not you are a customer with an online account, please use LOOK UP to see if you have an existing account. CAUTION: Please DO NOT create multiple accounts. Purchasing licenses with multiple accounts could potentially invalidate your license.
▶ If you are a new customer (meaning you have never used cpwshop.com; purchased a CPW license or pass on bright green paper; made a Colorado state park camping reservation since 2018; registered an OHV, boat or snowmobile; or do not have a Reserve America account), please create an account. If you are experiencing issues creating an account, please call CPW at 303-297-1192 (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. MT) or Aspira at 800-244-5613 (24/7) for assistance.
2. Confirm your account details and license choice(s) in advance.
▶ Check that your contact info is correct, including phone, valid email and mailing address.
▶ Make sure your limited license hunt code choice(s) is on the remaining limited (leftover) license list.
▶ Refer to the Big Game brochure for add-on bear license hunt code choices. Note: You will need to enter your credit card information when you check out (Visa, Mastercard or Discover). Your credit card on file will not be charged automatically.
3. Need more information?
▶ Visit CPW’s Remaining Limited (Leftover) and Over-the-Counter Licenses page.
Know your Game Management Units (GMUs)
Need info on a GMU you see on the Remaining Limited License List? Colorado is divided into hunting areas called game management units (i.e. GMUs). It’s important that every hunter knows the boundaries of their hunting area, including private land boundaries. CPW’s wildlife officers have created a video series where they answer frequently asked questions, discuss access, describe animal movement, and more. If you are trying to figure out where you want to hunt, this video series is a great way to start your game management unit research.
Over-the-Counter (OTC) Licenses
Over-the-Counter (OTC) licenses are not restricted in quantity but are restricted to certain units, seasons and manners of take. Although they are considered “unlimited licenses,” they are still subject to purchase limits for each individual.
They are available without having to participate in the draw(s). They do not require buying/having a qualifying license, do not use preference points and can be purchased after the start of a season by phone, online and in person at sales agents around the state.
Over-the-Counter License Availability Maps
- Archery GMU map for over-the-counter antlerless Elk licenses
- Archery GMU map for over-the-counter antlered and either-sex Elk licenses
- Archery GMU map for over-the-counter either-sex Pronghorn licenses
- Rifle GMU map for over-the-counter Bull Elk licenses – 2nd and 3rd season
- Rifle GMU map for over-the-counter either-sex Plains Elk licenses
- Rifle GMU map for over-the-counter Either Sex Whitetail Deer Only licenses
Colorado Parks and Wildlife thanks you for supporting conservation in Colorado by purchasing licenses and other CPW products!