Moose Hunting in Alaska


Hunting Moose and/or Caribou in Fortymile Country Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Can I hunt both moose and caribou in the Taylor Highway area in Unit 20E?

    Yes, but not at the same time. In the Taylor Highway area in Unit 20E you must use a Registration Permit to hunt moose or caribou. You can only have one permit (RC860 for caribou or RM865 for moose) at a time, and you must turn in your report for one permit to exchange it for the other permit.

    You can carry an RC860 registration permit for caribou and a general harvest ticket for moose but you can not hunt moose in the Taylor Highway area in Unit 20E with a general harvest ticket. You are free to hunt moose in other areas of the state managed as general harvest areas.

  2. How much do the registration permits cost?

    Nothing, they’re free! You will need a driver’s license or identification card and an Alaska hunting license to get a registration permit. A hunting license is not required for resident hunters under age 18; however, you must have either completed a basic hunter ed course or be under the direct immediate supervision of a licensed hunter who (a) is 16 years of age or older and has successfully completed a Certified Hunter Ed course, or (b) was born on or before January 1, 1986. Hunters who are 16 or older and born after January 1, 1986 must have successfully completed a Certified Hunter Education course. Non-resident hunters need an Alaska hunting license and the appropriate tags and registration permits.

  3. How many registration permits are available?

    There are an unlimited number of permits. For the caribou hunts the quota applies to the number of animals taken – not to the number of hunters.

  4. Can I get a registration permit on the weekend?

    ADF&G offices are closed on the weekends, but select vendors in Tok, Eagle, Central and Circle will have permits available all week long. The Three Bears Outpost (907-883-5370) in Tok has RC860 and RM865 permits. In Eagle you can pick up RM865 and RC860 permits at the Eagle Trading Post (907-547-2220). Caribou and moose registration permits are also available online at

  5. What happens if the quota is reached on one of the caribou hunts?

    The season is closed in that hunt area. Harvest during the caribou hunts is closely monitored (this is why the reporting requirement is so strict), and if the take approaches the quota limit, an Emergency Order to close the hunt will be issued and distributed throughout the state.

  6. What happens if I’m in the field hunting when an Emergency Order is issued?

    Before an EO is issued, several factors are taken into account, including an estimate of the number of hunters still out. It’s always a good idea to check with ADF&G or the Fortymile caribou hotline at 907-267-2310 for the latest information on the Fortymile caribou hunts before you go hunting.

  7. Where are the caribou?

    We get asked this question all the time. As the herd has grown and expanded its range, it has become impossible to predict where the caribou will be during hunting season. The herd is large enough now to be scattered throughout its range in autumn from the Steese Highway to the Taylor Highway.

  8. I want to hunt moose and my buddy wants to hunt caribou in the Taylor Highway Area. Can we register for different species?

    Yes, each hunter can choose which hunt to register for regardless of what other members of his or her hunting party choose.

  9. How do I tell a bull caribou from a cow caribou?

    Good question, you have to look for a penis sheath on bulls and a vulva patch on females. Rack size and mane color are not reliable indicators of sex in caribou. Handouts to aid in caribou sex identification are available online (PDF 1,131 kB) or at Fish and Game Offices.

  10. Can I get a registration permit over the phone or on the internet? Can someone else pick up my registration permit for me?

    No you can not get a RC860 caribou registration permit over the phone, but you can get one on the internet. The RM865 moose registration permit for 20E is also available on the internet. Hunters must get their own registration permits and permits must be signed by the hunter.

See also  Ultimate 14 Best Bowfishing Bows (2023 list)

Remember! We take reporting seriously! Hunters must follow reporting requirements without exception. See the Alaska Hunting Regulations for more information on registration hunts.

Fortymile Caribou Hotline (907) 267-2310

Previous articleTripe: what you need to know to purchase, clean and prepare it
Next articleShould You Use a Vertical Grip on Your AR-15? – RailScales LLC
Ethan Smith is a seasoned marine veteran, professional blogger, witty and edgy writer, and an avid hunter. He spent a great deal of his childhood years around the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest in Arizona. Watching active hunters practise their craft initiated him into the world of hunting and rubrics of outdoor life. He also honed his writing skills by sharing his outdoor experiences with fellow schoolmates through their high school’s magazine. Further along the way, the US Marine Corps got wind of his excellent combination of skills and sought to put them into good use by employing him as a combat correspondent. He now shares his income from this prestigious job with his wife and one kid. Read more >>