Legal hunting hours for deer are 30 minutes before official sunrise time until 30 minutes after official sunset time
Rifles using centerfire, mushrooming ammunition.
- Pre-charged pneumatic air powered guns, .30 caliber or larger.
- Pre-charged pneumatic arrow shooting rifles using an arrow equipped with a broadhead which has a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8 inch and 2 sharpened edges.
- Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller using buckshot, slugs, or single round ball.
- Muzzleloaders and Black Powder Handguns: .40 caliber or larger.
- Long bows, compound bows, or crossbows in conformance with regulation 220-2-.03.
- Handguns or pistols using centerfire, mushrooming ammunition.
- Hunting with fully automatic firearms is prohibited.
Three per hunter during all combined seasons. One of the three must have at least 4 antler points 1” or longer on one antler (except for Barbour County). A point is defined as an antler projection of at least one inch in length from base to tip. Main beam tip shall be counted as a point regardless of length.
During the Unantlered Deer Gun, Special Muzzleloader, Bow and Arrow, and Special Youth (under 16) Seasons, one unantlered deer may be taken each day in addition to one antlered buck each day.
During dates and in areas open by regulation to gun deer season, including youth deer season and muzzleloader deer season, all persons hunting any wildlife species, except foxes, raccoons and opossoms during legal nighttime hours or turkey or migratory birds (including crows), are required to wear an outer garment above the waist with a minimum of 144 square inches of hunter orange or either a full size hunter orange hat or cap. Hunters are not required to wear hunter orange when hunting from a stand elevated twelve (12) feet or more from the ground, when hunting in an enclosed box stand, when traveling in an enclosed vehicle, or when traveling on foot no more than twenty feet directly between an operating enclosed vehicle and a stand where the hunter is exempt from the hunter orange requirement. The hunter orange must be worn when traveling on foot between an operating enclosed vehicle and exempt stand when the distance is more than a direct distance of twenty feet. A small logo and/or printing is permitted on the front of hunter orange caps; otherwise, hunter orange must be of solid color and visible from any angle. Only hunter orange, commonly called blaze orange, ten mile cloth, etc., is legal. The various shades of red as well as camo orange are not legal.
- DEER: Stalk Hunting – Centerfire rifles using mushrooming and/or expanding type ammunition, pre-charged pneumatic arrow shooting rifles using an arrow equipped with a broadhead which has a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8” and two (2) sharpened edges, pre-charged pneumatic air powered guns .30 caliber or larger, shotguns using slugs or single round balls, muzzle-loading firearms .40 caliber or larger, centerfire handguns with a minimum of 4 inch barrel length using mushrooming and/or expanding type ammunition. All applicable laws regarding possessing and carrying handguns must be followed.
- DEER: Stalk Hunting – Primitive Weapons Hunt – Muzzle-loading rifles or muzzle-loading handguns .40 caliber or larger, muzzle-loading shotguns, pre-charged pneumatic arrow shooting rifles using an arrow equipped with a broadhead which has a minimum cutting diameter of 7/8” and two (2) sharpened edges, pre-charged pneumatic air-powered guns .30 caliber or larger, or bow and arrow (including crossbow).
- DEER: Stalk Hunting – Archery – bow and arrow (including crossbows): Conforming to the provisions of Rule 220-2-.03.
- DEER: Dog Hunts – Shotguns using buckshot only.