The debate about saltwater spinning reels vs. baitcasting reels has been going on for many years.
Some anglers claim baitcasters are superior, while the spinning reel crew says the opposite.
We’ve compared these two types of reels head to head on podcast episodes before, but today we’re diving in specifically on the pros and cons of baitcasting reels.
Here’s a sneak peek of what we covered:
- In what situations a baitcaster performs better than a spinning reel
- What the best brands of baitcasting reels are
- How to get fewer bird’s nests (this will save you tons of headaches!)
- Understanding all of the components of baitcasters and how to get the most out of them
- How to clean and maintain them to make them last longer
- And much more
You can watch the video version of this podcast below, listen to the audio version by clicking the play button underneath it, or listen to it on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify.
P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!
Saltwater Baitcasting Reels [VIDEO]
Saltwater Baitcasting Reels [PODCAST]
Note: Don’t forget to subscribe to the Salt Strong podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify and leave us a review!
- 2021 SALTWATER SPINNING REELS PREVIEW (NEW, UPDATED & DISCONTINUED)
- SPINNING REELS VS. BAITCASTERS: WHICH REEL IS BEST FOR INSHORE FISHING?
Here’s a timestamped table of contents from my conversation with two of the Salt Strong Fishing Coaches plus our guest, fellow baitcasting nerd and Salt Strong Insider, Bill DeWeese:
1:45 – Why there’s such a divide between baitcaster and spinning reel fans
3:38 – When to use a baitcaster vs. a spinning reel
6:41 – Which types and sizes of braid work best on baitcasters
10:22 – Why baitcasters cause less fatigue during a long day on the water than spinning reels
16:04 – What the best brands of baitcasters are
23:35 – Pros & cons of baitcasting reels
28:12 – What the best brands of baitcasters are (revisited)
33:20 – How to clean and service your baitcasting reels
39:10 – Understanding all of the components of baitcasting reels
41:30 – How to adjust your reel to get fewer bird’s nests
48:36 – How to get bird’s nests out
- HOW TO UNTANGLE BACKLASH ON A BAITCASTER (QUICK & EASY WAY)
54:00 – How to pair a rod with your baitcasting reel
Baitcasters and spinning reels each have their time and place, and this was a fun deep dive into the pros, cons and specifics about baitcasters.
Are you on team baitcaster or spinning reel?
Let me know down in the comments!
And a big thank you to Bill DeWeese for joining us on this episode!
If you want to hear more from Bill, join us in the Insider Club.
He’s an Insider and he’s always sharing helpful tips and answers people’s questions in our community.
As an Insider, you’ll also get access to our best fishing spots and tips, plus discounts to our online tackle store.
Click here to join us in the Insider Club.
- THE BEST TYPE OF ROD & REEL FOR INSHORE FISHING [BAITCASTING VS. SPINNING GEAR]
- KNOW YOUR REEL SIZES (PROS & CONS OF 1000 VS 2500 VS 3000 REELS)
- LIVE BAIT VS. SLAM SHADY: FLATS FISHING CASE STUDY